Sunday, March 08, 2009

Amniotic Fluid and a New Perspective

Yes, it has been awhile since we have posted on the blog. As many of you know we have had a difficult few weeks. I was consistently measuring about 2-3 cm larger than they expected me to for the week of pregnancy we were in, so they ordered for us to have another ultrasound. The ultrasound relieved that I have elevated levels of amniotic fluid. A Dr. with the worst bedside manor I have ever encountered came in and told us about all the risks associated with high amniotic fluid and I can not even explain the feelings that went through my head. To put it mildly we were really scared and I realized that up to that point I had been completely niave to the idea that anything could be wrong with baby m.

We have since had two non stress tests for baby M and a level II ultrasound with a high risk Dr. He could not find anything wrong with the baby's anatomy that could be causing the high levels of amniotic fluid and based on their measurements the amount of amniotic fluid had gone down a little bit. It is still on the high side - but considered the high side of normal. We have spent countless houses online (not the best thing to do to calm your nerves) and reading journal articles on the topic on medline. To make a long story short it looks like the majority of the time mildly elevated amniotic fluid levels are idiopathic - which is reassuring. We are at a slightly higher risk that something could be wrong with baby m compared to a woman with average amniotic fluid levels and are at a higher risk for a complicated delivery - but we are doing our best to be positive and take comfort in the fact that the Dr's are watching us carefully and that the odds of him being healthy are in our favor.

To say the least, it has been a difficult few weeks and although we are doing better now it has changed things - I am sad to say it has taken a bit of the joy out of the pregnancy and I find myself on pins and needles every time I go to the Dr. just hoping they give us positive news that reinforces my abillity to think that baby m is healthy. I am a worrier - and so even with the slightest increases in risk it tends to consume me. I am lucky that my husband is so grounded. He has a very positive outlook and balances me - I can't thank him enogh for dealing with my emotions of the past few weeks and for his endless positive outlook and support.

We boh appreciate the love, prayers, and all forms of support that our family and friends have shown us over the past few weeks. Please keep baby M in your prayers and we will keep all of you posted on updates and most importantly of baby M's arrival in a few short weeks!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess and Jon, I didn't know you were having some concerns! But I will put all three of you in my prayers that everthing will be perfect. Relax as much as possible and enjoy this time as your family grows. love, Rell

Sean and Belinda said...

Hey there - I will definitely keep all three of you in my prayers, but I am sure there is nothing to be worried about! Your baby will be happy, healthy, and snuggling in your arms before you know it. I am sure he can't wait to meet his new parents!

Sam said...

hey guys - i've been thinking about you and i'm glad to hear that things are settling down. we're super excited to be coming out to SD for the shower. can't wait to see you!!

J Manson Squared said...

I was worried that something was going one since you had been absent on the blog scene for a bit! I see lots of patients with polyhydramnios (too much fluid) and things turn out fine! Try not to worry too much! Easy to say & SO hard to do, I know. Try to enjoy this last stretch of being pregnant...it will be gone before you know it and you'll have a real little kicking, cooing person in your arms to worry about! :)

Anonymous said...

OK, Easy to say, hard to do (Take it from this hypochondriac) - STAY OFF THE INTERNET! Ask the doctor questions...the good one, not the crappy bedside one (which I feel very bad for you as I see them everyday). I have been praying for Baby M since I found out, as have many so I know it will all be fine. And, Jess, remember that the baby can feel what you go through - Stay positive, enjoy your pregnany, get ready for all the fun you're about to have. Especially, if you will for me, enjoy a little kick now and then, I always think that's the neatest thing! I heard Mike and Danielle got the BEST babysitter to stay with the Radke Rugrats so they could both make it to the shower. Yep - AUNTIE ME! Have fun, enjoy, Your perfect miracle is almost here! Love, 'Auntie' Sarah

Anonymous said...

Jon, Jess and baby M, remember that this is a very special time in all of your lives, being pregnant is an amazing few months, those little kicks now growning stronger, the fact that your bladder is about the size of a kernal of corn, your feet maybe either swelling or they could even be lost for the time being. These are the things that you will look back on and wonder how you ever did it only to think that we would even consent to doing it again. Is because in a few short weeks you will be able to hold this little bundle of joy, sleep with them in your arms and smiles in the middle of the night are all the joys a being a parent. You guys hold on to those thoughts and rest as much as you can. As you might need it cause those little ones love to sleep in the day and be awake at night. Take care and think positive enjoy this time.

Jen Hall said...

Jessie and Jon
Hello from San Diego!
We are reading your blog Jess and missing you....
We remember taking care of you in the basket .... (it wasnt as cute as you have it now). We are very impressed with the sewing skills :)
Love you,
Jules and Jen